If chocolate banana bread wasn’t delicious enough, go even further with this banana and chocolate cake. You can freestyle on this chocolatey loaf, by switching up the nuts or mixing in milk and white chocolate.
- 250g/9oz plain flour
- 25g/1oz cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 200g/7oz golden caster sugar
- 2 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 125g/4½oz butter, melted
- 100g/3½oz good-quality white chocolate, chopped
- 50g/2oz toasted chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Sift the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and sugar into a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Place the bananas in a separate bowl, stir in the eggs and melted butter.
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the chocolate and nuts and spoon the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 50–60 minutes, or until the cake rises and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven, cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cake from the tin. Serve in slices.